Sunday 6 March 2011

Rambling thoughts.

I stood and stared into the sea and I heard God speak and it baffled me. Yet I knew in that moment that there was hope, there was future, that standing there at the edge of the sea was what I was meant to be doing at that moment of my life.

The first time someone I loved left me I was 8, my best friend moved to the other side of the country and I didn't see him for a year. I spoke to him every day, I cried myself to sleep, I started wondering if it wouldn't be better if I died because then I could be with God and this would be over. On two occasions I got close to trying to kill myself, in those moments God stopped me, images came into my mind of me lying on the kitchen floor dead and how my parents would react and I knew I couldn't do that to them. It was like my world had fallen apart. Though then was still a chance, I planned the journey down to visit him, I knew which trains I had to get, where the changes were, I worked out how to get into London and which train to get out, which boat to catch when I got to Penzance.

You see, he was one of the people who got me through the day, who kept me going. He wasn't like the girls who would be my friend one day then hate me the next, he wasn't going to turn around and stab me in the back, him being around made the rest bearable. When the stones came hurtling down the clay track behind me, I ignored it, I forced it out of my mind. I got through to the morning because then I get to see T again and I'd forget about everyone else, about how much they hurt me. They didn't stop though, every chance they got for ten years. Then this grief stricken girl goes home because someone has died again and they vandalise the car they see her driving.

In 2008 I went home four times, each because someone had died, twice they wrecked the car. Then somehow last summer I thought I was strong enough to take it on. I didn't see them, they weren't there. Maybe they've all been locked up or left, maybe it's safe now.

No, it's never safe. Not there, each place is a memory. I remember the days I hid in my room away from the window scared if they saw me they'd throw a brick through it. The days I didn't want to leave the house because there was no route where I was certain I would avoid them. The abuse I would get between the bus stop and my house if I went out. The jeers from the bastards who yelled those insults at me for the best part of the 14 years I was bullied for.

I have good memories of that place but I don't know where they are. I can't find them. Maybe the days I spent down in Angie's book shop lost in a world of fantasy and adventure. Walks with Emlyn round the meadows.

Right now it is so easy to blame myself, to come up with some reason why it's my fault, my fault that they never stopped hurting me, my fault that everyone died. These memories are coming back, the moments that part of me knew had happened, but the moments I didn't remember before. At least now I know where those mysterious bruises came from... ontop of the pain, the memories, over and above that is how much I loved Adam, how much it would all be bearable if I could once more look into his eyes and rest my head upon his shoulder.

I need to find another way out. I need to find a way to do this work I want and need to do, all of this, I need to find a way to live without this taking over. For the last few days I've been wanting to rewind to before this summer, to change it so I didn't go back. I was so happy, so full of joy, so alive, nothing could contain my happiness for just being alive. Then my heart broke again, for that little girl who was powerless to do anything else, and for Adam. I feel like a shadow that's bleeding and I want this over. I want this to end more than anything.

I want to go back to the girl that can take on the world. Who has hope and happiness and love.

No comments: